Friday, January 20, 2006

Sento is for naked people...

Last night, after my Toide eikaiwa, my friend Eri and I drove to Tonami and hit up the most wondrous of Japanese wonders, the sento. I have been quite curious about the sento/onsen phenomenon here in Japan (especially amongst the JET population). I had never been to one, so it was rather difficult to envision. I figured, naked people - check, hot water - check, bubbles of varying frequency - check, more naked people - check. What I got was a great deal more. Eri took me to the new ゆらら (super sento) ! For a mere 700yen we could take as long as we wished popping in and out of an array of different baths. The water was naturally pumped in from a mountain hot spring, and it was beautiful and smelled great!


First was a rinse, then her favorite, the electric wave pool. I thought my hips were going to explode, but she convinced me that it was supposed to be good for them, so I sat there for a while and wondered about my sanity.


We then crossed over to a super-bubble pool with about 5 different sets of jets. One would hit your lowerback, then another your neck, etc etc.


Next were little individual tubs outside. Keeping with Japanese standards, there was a big tv showing a cooking program for all the older women that were enjoying sento.


We tried the individuals then went into the group baths. Its a great feeling with the cold nipping at you while you are soaking away all of your stress in 42.8 degree water! (celcius for those of you who are freaking out right now)


We did a bit of sauna till I couldn’t breathe anymore and moved to a sweet little bath I had never seen before, and the air tasted sweet.


The hot water is pumped in just a few inches deep and you lie flat on these heated (by the water) rocks as the water rinses over what parts of you which are not exposed to the wind. It was deliciously warm and relaxing.


For any of you who have not gone to sento yet, I highly recommend it. For those of you who have, I am already planning a weekly Thurs. night session with Eri, but could easily be convinced to check out what is available in Tak!

My favorite part of the sento, the various sauna rooms.

2 comments:

Angelo Villagomez said...

happy glorious naked time!

Emily said...

Oooh...can we tag along next Thursday? Is it coed? And I luvluv Eri.