Sunday, August 26, 2012

India Recap

After talking to Dave and Kaoru about the blog, I realized we dropped off the face of the earth for a while.  I also have been given the task of presenting about our 3 months in India to my co-workers in the next few weeks, so I can update here and select the photos to explain the trip with.  Excellent!  Two birds with one stone.

I realize that the blog has hopped all over the place without a clear idea of when we were where.  I'm going to try to rectify that.

J and I combined two Intrepid trips the North India Unplugged and the South India Unplugged.  We got there a day or so early and wandered around New Delhi trying to get our footing in a country that is deservedly referred to as "challenging" and "colorful".  We scheduled a cab tour to different areas of the city.




Red Fort in New Delhi






The Baby Taj


India Gate


The Bahai Lotus Temple


Qutab Minar


Jama Masjid in New Delhi

After Delhi, we took the train to Jaisalmer to experience the Thar Desert in Rajasthan.


The above is a detail from one of the Jain Temples in Jaisalmer.  I took this during our walking tour the first morning we had in the fort.  The city and fort were a great introduction to India.  Comfy places to eat and relax, with a lot of opportunity to experience the culture.  I had the unique chance to get rabies shots at 3 different clinics around India with our guide Naveen's assistance.  Silver-lining to my dog fun-time in Yangon.  3 personal guided tours of the city trying to find an open clinic that had the rabies antibody I needed and meeting 3 lovely gentlemen who injected me in the shoulder.  Ahh memories.

Full disclosure, as per usual.  I was sick as a dog for our entire 2nd day in Jaisalmer.  I lasted through the first portion of the tour before me and my Delhi belly went back to the hotel and slept it off.  Many bananas were eaten by our group on the Northern India tour because we couldn't keep anything else down.   The photo below is of me after my extended "nap".  I look fresh as a daisy.



More to come later.

No comments: