Friday, March 21, 2008

um·brel·la [uhm-brel-uh] –noun

I have been wanting to start this documentation of collection project for a while. Seemed like after/during a big windy messy day was a good a time as any. On the way to Kanazawa, I began collecting evidence. Let's learn of our oft neglected and unappreciated friend.

1. a light, small, portable, usually circular cover for protection from rain or sun, consisting of a fabric held on a collapsible frame of thin ribs radiating from the top of a carrying stick or handle.

2. one of the top two most stolen or "borrowed" items in Japan, the other being bicycles.

3. as cheap as 100yen a pop

4. the most common variety is a conbini purchased clear vinyl model.

5. every umbrella I have ever bought or was given to me over the past 3 years has been stolen, with the exception of a tiny magenta one I don't know the origin of

6. in a more esoteric vein, umbrellas remind me of the status of older people in many societies. once their usefulness has expended, they are unceremoniously discarded and ignored

pictures to come...

No comments: