Monday, June 04, 2007

Rice planting (muddy fun for everyone)




Been a bit slack about posting these photos up here. I would like to thank my stand-in photographer Matsumoto-san for his efforts.



Timmy, Rachel, and I ventured to the Okada's abode a few weeks ago to get muddy and plant edible things. We brought boots for the occasion, but were inspired by our new 8 year old friend, to just jump in.


The Nihon-jin planted rows were beautiful and straight. The gaijin rows... no so much. If only my father were there to tell me "Tuck 'em in!" In my defense, these are my "fall down" pants, and I tied them tight, I swear!


I blame the 8 year old! He was hyper and too excited by our gaijinness to plant straight.


Our adventurers...
Timmy of Kangaroo Island.


Bunny of West Virgina.


I think Yoshi secretly wants to be in a boy-band... (please note me retying my pants in the background... excellent.)


Matsumoto's favorite shot. I think he was getting artsy ;) Hey Timmy, "isa my underwears showing?"


This is our "plaque" of accomplishment. The rice will soon grow taller than it.


What I learned:
  • planting rice will make you smell like cow for a full day afterwards
  • you plant at least 3 blades of ricey grass per spot
  • the spots are in a straight line approximately 4-5 inches apart
  • (I just received mandarine orange cake omiyage! yum!) this has nothing to do with anything.
  • you can use a toothbrush and soap to get cow poo out from under your nails!
  • leeches live in gaijin runoff traps... as do spiders

No comments: